Want the Best from Fractional Laser Treatment? Do This!
- Posted on: Jan 30 2020
Many factors influence how we look as we age. Sun exposure, genetics, even the way we repeatedly move our facial muscles all affect tissue firmness and elasticity over time. To support resiliency, combat the effects of declining collagen and elastin, and correct the signs of sun damage, many people undergo laser skin resurfacing.
Laser skin resurfacing is a controlled treatment through which laser energy is delivered into the skin. We perform a gentle form of laser resurfacing in our Cincinnati office using a fractional laser device. Treatment affects tiny pinpoints within the upper layers of skin tissue, prompting a healing response through which dead and damaged skin cells fall off and new skin cells get an infusion of healthy collagen and elastin as they make their way to the surface.
This is a great time of year for laser skin resurfacing because the sunshine, when we do see it, is less intense. The question that many people have is how long the results of this treatment will last. The answer can vary because the health of the skin depends on several factors. This is actually good news because it means healthy skin can be prolonged after laser skin resurfacing. If you’re considering reviving your skin with laser treatment, know that you can enjoy years of results with habits such as:
- Using sunscreen daily. Even now, the light that is in the atmosphere can affect the skin. Broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 is needed all year long. In the summer, when we’re more sweaty or in and out of water, it is critical that we apply sunscreen at least every 90 minutes.
- Feeding the skin. Leafy green vegetables and fresh fruits provide the body with the building blocks needed to produce collagen and elastin. Seeing that the body naturally slows the production of these vital proteins, we’ve got to give it as much support as possible.
- Staying hydrated. Dehydrated skin breaks down more quickly. Water molecules are a crucial factor in how smooth and plump the skin is, too. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day remains important regardless of the outside temperature.
- Supplement as needed. It has become somewhat difficult to get all of the nutrients we need from our standard diet. For the skin to sustain, it needs antioxidants that fight free radicals. Vitamin C is an example. One way to get this is to take a time-released supplement.
- Stick to the program. Antioxidants and other nourishing substances can be applied to the skin to support the aging process. In addition to washing your face regularly, you’ll benefit from choosing high-quality moisturizers and serums that help cellular turnover and tissue repair. Periodic exfoliation is also a beneficial aspect of an optimal skincare program.
Laser skin resurfacing is a great boost for just about anyone’s skin. To schedule your consultation for treatment, call 513.985.0850.